Legal medicine is a medical specialty which certifies the medical elements of a juridical case.
The medico-legal expertise
The medico-legal expertise is compulsory by law in the following cases :
- physical attacks and damages
- sexual abuses
- the evaluation of the psychological health and resources, including the evaluation of the power of testing
- paternal determination, including DNA testing
- toxicological tests (alcohol in blood, drugs)
- death due to unnatural causes (violent, suspect or unknown causes)
In these cases the examination of a forensic doctor gives a surplus of competence in connection with legal stipulations and the protection insurance of the constitutional rights.
The medico-legal consultancy
The medico-legal consultancy from the consulting room consists of :
- explanations in case you were a victim an aggression (attacks, car accidents)
- the examination of the document you have to present in court
- the establishment of several additional legal approaches or medical examinations essential in proving your state of health or current damages
- advices concerning the possibility to prove the psychological health and/or the capacity of testing
- advices concerning the acknowledgement or the failure to recognize the paternity of a child
- advices and assistance concerning different stages of intoxication
- consultancy and assistance in case of demise
The medico-legal consultancy in a medical center is not an actual examination and it does not replace the medico-legal examination from the National Institute of Legal Medicine "Mina Minovici" Bucharest, or other similar institutes in the country (often requested by the Court).